Long Beach Foodie Update: Padre Set to Launch New Menu, Mezcalero Upstairs; Vegan Brunch and BBQ Coming to DTLB
Photos by Brian Addison.
It’s not just the awesome mural being painted in the back lot Padre (525 E Broadway) in DTLB that the restaurant is updating itself with.
Mezcalero, a sister bar to the original Mezcalero in DTLA, will be opening upstairs in the coming weeks while Padre will debut an entirely new menu thanks to Guadalajaran Chef Manuel Bañuelos. I am going to remain mum on his story and menu items until my feature about him in LA Weekly comes out in the next few weeks.
Meanwhile, franchise chain D’s Barbecue Pit will be moving right next door to franchise chain Jimmy John’s (421 W Broadway) in DTLB’s Gallery 421 complex on Broadway. The joint, with hundreds of locations across the States, is your fast casual BBQ (and something I strongly dissent against when you have Robert Earl’s BBQ in North Long Beach and Bigmista’s in Lakewood Village).
Y’know how we keep saying that Long Beach is becoming the region’s Vegan Capitol? Yeah, that concept keeps getting stronger as DTLB’s Ahimsa (340 E 4th St.) debuts its Sunday brunch menu this weekend, May 7:
- Pancakes topped with walnuts, strawberries and blueberries, maple syrup and butter (whip cream available upon request). Served with your choice of hash browns or fruit.
- Tofu scramble topped with avocado, and served with sourdough toast. Your choice of hash browns or fruit.
- Breakfast sandwich with bacon, egg, cheese, and veggie cream cheese on a bagel or English muffin. Served with your choice of hash browns or fruit.
- Breakfast burrito with tofu scramble, spinach, cheese, potato, avocado, and tomato wrapped in a red bell pepper tortilla. Served with your choice of hash browns or fruit.
- 3 grain oatmeal topped with assorted fruits and nuts. Plain Bagel w/ plain or veggie cream cheese. Served with a side of tomato, avocado, and cucumber.
- Avocado toast served on pumpernickel bread, and topped with spices, sunflower seeds, and arugula.