Photo by Brian Addison.
Praise be to the biking and pedestrian gods: the stretch of Shoreline Drive from Ocean Boulevard to Linden Avenue will be massively improved for bicyclists, pedestrians, the disabled, and even commuters as City officials announced a project that is expected to be completed in February.
“The long-awaited traffic improvements and renovation of the Alamitos Beach Parking Lot will add to the City’s bike infrastructure, provide better accessibility to the beach and overall enhance an area that provides various special events throughout the year,” said Vice Mayor Suja Lowenthal in a press release.
- New asphalt, landscaping and irrigation reconstruction, striping and signing from Ocean Boulevard to Linden Avenue for a bike lane
- Installing ADA compliant sidewalks and pedestrian ramps to access the adjacent beach area
- New asphalt overlay to revitalize the parking lot surface, along with new concrete curbs and gutters
- Removing outdated individual parking meters and installing new multi-space pay stations that will allow multiple forms of payment, similar to other public parking lots that have been rehabilitated
- The island planters with trees will be expanded by one foot to allow for drought tolerant landscaping
- Parking lot lighting will be retrofitted with new LED lights and two new light poles that will provide improved lighting coverage